I know Nim has support for static blocks, but I do not know what they can be used for, except from printing hello world at compile time, like it is written in the example. I was hoping I could create some code in them, but I do not know where to put the ast that I generate:

import macros

static:
  let ast = quote do:
    echo "hello world"

# what can I do with ast now, except from discarding it?

Is it possible to make the static block evaluate to echo "hello world", that then gets evaluated at runtime again?

2017-01-08 17:26:04

Is it possible to make the static block evaluate to echo "hello world", that then gets evaluated at runtime again?

Just to call one and the same code at compile- and at run-time? This?

template hw = echo "hello world!"
static:
  hw()
hw()

EDIT

Regarding usefulness: yet another compile-time hello world with very basic compile-time reading of ini-file (w/o sections, comments only starting at line beginning) into const table.

import strutils, tables
static:
  let c="test.conf".slurp.splitLines
  var a=newSeq[(string,string)]()
  for v in c:
    if v.len>0 and v[0]!=';':
      let vv=v.split('=')
      add a, (vv[0].strip.toLowerAscii, vv[1].strip)
const conf=a.toTable

# having the config is smth like
# h = hello
# ; comments allowed; keys may be in either case, they will be lower-cased
# W = world
echo t["h"] & ", " & t["w"] & "!" # -> hello, world!

Many things don't work in VM, say json or parsecfg won't work, still it can be of use.

2017-01-08 18:05:35

@LeuGim thanks for your effort, sadly it is not really what I was hoping for. I was hoping it could be used as an inplace macro. This is what I mean:

macro makeHelloWorld(): untyped =
  result = quote do:
    echo "Hello Wolrd!"

makeHelloWolrd()

imagine a lot of macros like this. Each of them executed exacty once, and always right after definition. So I thought maybe the static block could simplify the code, and remove the need to always come up with new identifiers:

static:
  result = quote do:
    echo "Hello World!"

but that is sadly this is not a simplification that can be applied.

2017-01-08 22:58:19