I've become a father just a month ago

Congratulations @moigagoo

2017-03-17 17:08:35
bpr

I think it's a bit odd to pick a honey badger for a mascot and then complain that it looks too aggressive or violent. Honey badgers are admired precisely for their capacity and inclination to do violence. A Nim honey badger should look meaner than most I'd think.

I don't care for the mascot idea that much, maybe the crown logo can be made to look more interesting.

2017-03-17 17:39:41

Honey badgers are admired precisely for their capacity and inclination to do violence. A Nim honey badger should look meaner than most I'd think.

Should we have it ripping apart a Snake? Or gnawing down on a Gopher?

2017-03-17 18:27:38
bpr

Should we have it ripping apart a Snake? Or gnawing down on a Gopher?

I like the way you think! Maybe eating a crab too?

OK, I did laugh, but I think that having the Nim mascot eat the mascots of other languages would not be very classy.

2017-03-17 18:58:15

Or maybe eating a Snake on a rusty plate, with a large bite in the plate. And having a gopher roasting on a fire.

(sarcasm don't actually do that)

I really like the choice of animal, because

1. Honey badger is a tough as nails, gutsy predator, and Nim can easily take on any other programming language. (Did you know that Honey Badgers have reportedly taken on Lions?)
  2. Honey badger is adaptable, it's pretty much everywhere, and because Nim compiles to C and javascript, Nim can go pretty much everywhere as well.
  3. The Honey Badger "has few natural predators because of its thick skin and ferocious defensive abilities." Because Nim has clean python-esque syntax and speed like C, it can survive (and prosper!) in the wild.
  4. A Honey Badger makes a hoarse "khrya-ya-ya-ya" sound, just like @Araq when he...

Looks at paper

Wait a second.

Where did we get this information from?

All sources from wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_badger

2017-03-18 04:07:40

A Honey Badger makes a hoarse "khrya-ya-ya-ya" sound, just like @Araq when he...

Huh? How would you know it's not like "no, no no, ouch, stop it, ...".

2017-03-18 07:27:15

@dom96 Thanks!

I agree with @hcorion that honey badger the animal makes a great mascot due to its unique qualities. But I also agree with @dom96 that the current implementation of the mascot is way too evil.

2017-03-18 09:36:09
Another concern that I have with the honey badger as a mascot is that it is also Bitcoin's mascot as far as I know. 2017-03-18 09:48:00
@dom96 Doesn't seem so. I can't find any references to that. I think alpacas are unofficial mascot of Bitcoin: http://www.coindesk.com/alpacas-the-unofficial-mascot-of-bitcoin/
2017-03-18 10:10:51
@dom96, I have designed a an Octopus mascot, I'd like to give it to Nim project. Would you accept it? 2017-03-18 10:35:49