Hi all

I'm very new to nim, like '4 days ago' new.

I'm a very experienced software developer, though probably specializing in 'older technologies'.

Nim seems to me to be the perfect mix of efficiency and expression, and I'd like to see its adoption grow.

What can I do to help get nim to a v1.0 release?

2018-01-10 10:25:11
Welcome aboard! What do you mean under term older technologies?
2018-01-10 11:08:19

What can I do to help get nim to a v1.0 release?

Make this number go under 1000

2018-01-10 11:08:49
2vg

Hi Kevin Welcome Nim-land !!

you can see many Issue

And... can make other wrapper not Here

2018-01-10 11:25:21

That is entirely up to Araq.

Everyone (including myself) has been hyping up the idea of The Great Epic Version One Point Oh Release, as if that really requires some rigid standard of achievement. I am starting to wonder whether that is a good thing, from the "expectations game" psychological point of view.

What if 0.9.2 was really 1.0 but no one noticed?

What if Nim just kept on going... 0.18, 0.19, 0.20... 0.9998, 0.9999, 0.10000, 0.10001...

What if someone told you that version 0.17.2 is actually 17.2?

What if Nim used year.month based versioning, like Ubuntu?

Either way, financial donations definitely help.

2018-01-11 02:53:58

What do you mean under term older technologies?

For the first couple of programming jobs I had I literally had physical wyse60 and vt100 terminals sitting on my desk, connected up via 9600 baud (or 19200 if I was lucky) serial lines.

I have an interest in lexing and parsing and tended to like writing utility programs to help manage our code base (ie. show me all the functions defined in, and all the external functions called from, this particular source file).

One company where I worked was not prepared to pay for a C compiler so I ended writing some basic parsers in awk.

Back then with programming languages you pretty much started with a clean slate, a primitive library giving you basic OS services, and not much else. It was up to you to implement anything beyond that and you had complete control to do it as you wished.

These days software development is all just plugging together frameworks and libraries with 'nuget this' and 'maven that'. When it works, great. But usually it doesn't. I think this quote from StackOverflow pretty much sums up my experiences with this...

After several hours of following dead ends, installing Maven, customizing environment variables and chasing down dependencies, I eventually found that...

Also once upon a time I tried Ruby but got stuck in a situation where Gems (or something) needed a version of Ruby > some specific version, but the library I needed to use for my project required a version of Ruby < that specific version, so it couldn't be made to work and in the end I just gave up.

Sorry, this has turned into a bit of a longish rant, but so far my experience with Nim has been that (apart from needing to download a lib for iup) everything has pretty much just worked out of the box.

2018-01-11 09:14:22

Make this number go under 1000

Thanks for pointing this out. I think it is a good place for me to start.

In my past experience I have found that one of the best ways to learn a new code base is by tracking down obvious bugs wherein things crash.

It gives you a specific target to aim for and there is nothing subjective about whether that particular behavior is a bad thing or a good thing.

2018-01-11 09:22:02

What if 0.9.2 was really 1.0 but no one noticed?

I understand that these numbers are arbitrary and there is nothing about a v1.0 release number that suddenly magically bestows anything on the actual software itself.

My question was in part prompted by comments I saw on /. in earlier articles about Nim. There were quite a few people who said things like (obviously I'm paraphrasing) "After all these years it's still not at v1? It's surely a dead project" or "Well I think I'll wait till they get to V1 before I look into it".

Whilst the overall aim should be to get that issue count reduced regardless of the version number, if we can confidently put out a V1 then psychologically people might be more inclined to try out Nim.

2018-01-11 09:40:42

Either way, financial donations definitely help.

Yup, signed up on BountySource last night.

2018-01-11 09:45:15
As of today, this is the most reliable source of pending tasks https://github.com/nim-lang/Nim/blob/devel/todo.txt:
version 1.0 battle plan
=======================

- let 'doAssert' analyse the expressions and produce more helpful output
- fix "high priority" bugs
- try to fix as many compiler crashes as reasonable
This is the list of high priority bugs.
2018-01-11 10:02:35
<<<••12••>>>